By Dave Taylor
Learn to exploit Unix, OS X, or Linux quick and easily!
In simply 24 classes of 1 hour or less, Sams educate your self Unix in 24 Hours helps you wake up and operating with Unix and Unix-based working structures corresponding to Mac OS X and Linux.
Designed for rookies with out past event utilizing Unix, this book’s simple, step by step technique makes it effortless to learn.
Each lesson truly explains crucial Unix instruments and strategies from the floor up, aiding you to develop into efficient as fast and successfully as possible.
- Step-by-step instructions carefully stroll you thru the most common Unix tasks.
- Practical, hands-on examples show you ways to use what you learn.
- Quizzes and exercises help you attempt your wisdom and stretch your skills.
- Notes and tips point out shortcuts and solutions
Learn how to…
- Pick the command shell that’s top for you
- Organize the Unix dossier approach (and why)
- Manage dossier and listing possession and permissions
- Maximize your productiveness with energy filters and pipes
- Use the vi and emacs editors
- Create your individual instructions and shell scripts
- Connect to distant platforms utilizing SSH and SFTP
- Troubleshoot universal problems
- List records and deal with disk usage
- Get all started with Unix shell programming
- Set up printing in a Unix environment
- Archive and again up files
- Search for info and files
- Use Perl in its place Unix programming language
- Set up, tweak, and utilize the GNOME graphical environment
HOUR 1: What is that this Unix Stuff?
HOUR 2: Getting onto the method and utilizing the Command Line
HOUR 3: Moving in regards to the dossier System
HOUR 4: Listing records and coping with Disk Usage
HOUR 5: Ownership and Permissions
HOUR 6: Creating, relocating, Renaming, and Deleting documents and Directories
HOUR 7: Looking into Files
HOUR 8: Filters, Pipes, and Wildcards!
HOUR 9: Slicing and Dicing Command-Pipe Data
HOUR 10: An advent to the vi Editor
HOUR 11: Advanced vi tips, instruments, and Techniquess
HOUR 12: An review of the emacs Editor
HOUR 13: Introduction to Command Shells
HOUR 14: Advanced Shell Interaction
HOUR 15: Job Control
HOUR 16: Shell Programming Overview
HOUR 17: Advanced Shell Programming
HOUR 18: Printing within the Unix Environment
HOUR 19: Archives and Backups
HOUR 20: Using e-mail to Communicate
HOUR 21: Connecting to distant structures utilizing SSH and SFTP
HOUR 22: Searching for info and Files
HOUR 23: Perl Programming in Unix
HOUR 24: GNOME and the GUI Environment
Appendix A: Common Unix Questions and Answers