By Dominique Annicette, Guillaume Desfarges, Joachim Gomard, Claude-Edmond Lafarge, Sammy Popotte
By Amir H. Majidimehr
this can be the main whole e-book to be had on functionality optimization—featuring assurance of UNIX, networking (TCP/IP), structure, and application optimization—all in a single quantity. Covers functionality fundamentals; knowing UNIX; BSD instrumentation; process V instrumentation; procedure tuning; optimizing consumer courses written in high-level languages; and making actual measurements. Explains intimately the output from each one command—along with “real-life” ideas of thumb on what worth is “good” and what's no longer. For method directors, software programmers, MIS managers, and common clients of UNIX structures who're attracted to studying approximately and/or optimizing the functionality of their UNIX approach and networks.
By Phillip G. Ezolt
First concerning the title:
The name must have been simply "A Hands-On consultant to Linux(R) functionality Tools".
That might were much less missleading and such a lot readers may have preferred the debugging scenarios
at the tip of the ebook more.
O.K now in regards to the publication itself:
I am presently a method administrator in a medium sized corporation (ca. 2 hundred employees)
I am utilizing varied flavours of Linux for the reason that five+ years (Debian, Mandrake, Suse, Redhat etc). each now and
then i discovered a number of guy pages occasionally difficult to understand. such a lot guy pages do describe available
options all alone yet - regrettably - they fail to bring the large photograph, together with f.e. practical
samples of ways to exploit these concepts in actual existence eventualities and the way to guage (read) the output given
to the display (or a file).
This is strictly the place Ezolt is available in with the "Hands-on advisor" and simplicity the discomfort in a wonderful way.
Whats makes this ebook so indispensible is that it describes the less than checklist of instruments in a way
that demystifies some of the command line suggestions and the monitor clutter.
The e-book instantly turned my most sensible friend.
The booklet is with 350p fairly compact (keep in brain the numerous instruments defined less than) and that permits you
to take it with you onsite, whereas no longer being to heavy.
To relatively maximise the use of the publication I recommend to take advantage of little post-it like notes, so you can
refer to them, if you are onsite and forgot the single or the opposite trick.
My post-it notes unfastened usually the writing from the various tear (usage). ;-)
Note that a few of the instruments lower than are defined 2 instances or extra in the ebook, looking on their
usage f.e. as CPU or reminiscence dependent research tool.
The ebook is someway varied from what I anticipated, yet do not forget that one e-book can seldom tackle
all concerns and that i think Ezolt has striked an excellent stability the following.
Ezolt is describing many situations that most likely such a lot approach admin got here accross, yet didnt recognize but the right way to deal with them.
Ezolt now gave them the instruments to eventually positioned them to solid use in a large area.
I provide Ezolt either thumbs up by myself for the truth that it's the first publication in the market that tackled that guy web page factor rather nicely
and "translated" these guy pages together with the refering command line interfaces in a for me readable format.
Well performed !!
List of (mostly command line) instruments defined within the ebook (39):
For CPU + established troubleshooting (13):
For reminiscence established troubleshooting (8):
For community dependent troubleshooting (8):
Utility instruments (10):
By Deborah L. Cooper
Written with the programmer in brain, this booklet specializes in describing invaluable programming ideas readers can use while developing their very own courses. every one part discusses the improvement and theories used to create operating courses and encompasses a basic software description, an inventory of DOS and BIOS functionality calls, improvement causes, and the particular ASM resource code directory for this system.
By Janice Winsor
Solaris method Administrator's advisor, Fourth version is the correct quick-start instructional for procedure directors new to the Solaris nine working setting - and the best fast-access reference for veteran Solaris directors. completely up to date to mirror Solaris 9's most up-to-date administration instruments, it exhibits tips to administer clients, units, structures, networks, printing, and different initiatives and gives the way to streamline management and to develop into extra efficient and effective. insurance comprises new SMC instruments: method prestige, procedure details, approach Configuration, garage, improved garage, and function. The e-book comprises distinct insurance of troubleshooting dossier entry, monitoring community functionality, streamlining printing, and extra -- every piece of it authoritative and obtainable.
By Nik Clayton
The FreeBSD instruction manual is the first resource of documentation produced through the FreeBSD Documentation venture. This new version comprises over 650 pages of fabric approximately FreeBSD and has been thoroughly up-to-date to mirror FreeBSD 4.X and 5.0-CURRENT.
The FreeBSD guide comes with the whole FreeBSD working approach on CDROM. FreeBSD is a robust, specialist caliber UNIX-compatible working method. This publication is the main complete documentation set on hand from the FreeBSD Documentation undertaking. It covers deploy, daily use of FreeBSD, complex process management themes, and masses extra.
The following alterations were made because the first variation:
- an entire index has been further.
- All ASCII figures were changed by means of graphical diagrams.
- a typical synopsis has been further to every bankruptcy to provide a brief precis of what details the bankruptcy comprises, and what the reader is anticipated to grasp.
- The content material has been logically reorganized into 3 parts:(1)Getting began, (2)System management and (3)Appendices.
- bankruptcy 2 ("Installing FreeBSD") used to be thoroughly rewritten with many screenshots extra to make it more straightforward for brand new clients to know the textual content.
- bankruptcy three ("Unix Basics") has been accelerated to include additional info approximately procedures, daemons, and indications.
- bankruptcy four ("Installing Applications") has been accelerated to include more information approximately binary package deal administration.
- bankruptcy five ("The X Window System") has been thoroughly rewritten with an emphasis on utilizing glossy computing device applied sciences comparable to KDE and GNOME on XFree86 4.x.
- bankruptcy 6 ("Configuration and Tuning") is a brand new bankruptcy for this version!
- bankruptcy 7 ("The FreeBSD Booting Process") has been improved.
- bankruptcy 12 ("Storage") has been rewritten from what was separate chapters on "Disks" and "Backups". We believe that the subjects are more straightforward to realize whilst awarded as a unmarried bankruptcy. a piece on RAID (both and software program) has additionally been extra.
- bankruptcy 14 ("Sound") is a brand new bankruptcy for this variation!
- bankruptcy 17 ("Advanced Networking") has been accelerated with many new sections approximately DNS, connection sharing, and extra.
- bankruptcy 18 ("Electronic Mail") has been accelerated to incorporate additional information approximately configuring sendmail.
- bankruptcy 20 ("Linux Compatibility") has been elevated to incorporate information regarding fitting Oracle and SAP/R3.
By Rolf Dietze, Tatjana Heuser, Jörg Schilling
Das Buch beschreibt im Wesentlichen sunlight OpenSolaris und, deutlich unterschieden hiervon, OpenSolaris. Es ist damit von Nutzen im Bereich der klassischen sunlight Solaris Anwender als auch der OpenSource-Gemeinde. Der erfahrene Administrator erhält mit dem Buch eine Übersicht über das neue OpenSolaris, RunBooks zur Integration in den RZ-Betrieb und Checklisten zur Qualitätssicherung seines Anlagenbetriebs. Gleichzeitig ist das Buch ein kompaktes Nachschlagewerk für selten benutzte beneficial properties des Betriebssystems. Die detaillierte Beschreibung von System-Internals und Abhängigkeiten von einzelnen Bestandteilen des OpenSolaris-Betriebssystems erlauben in Fehlersituationen – geleitet durch various Tipps und Übersichten – eine examine und die Wiederherstellung des Betriebs.
By Jason Langone
a whole advisor to making plans and designing ideas in line with VMware View 5
- Written by way of VMware specialists Jason Langone and Andre Leibovici, this e-book is an entire consultant to making plans and designing an answer according to VMware View 5.
- safe your visible computing device Infrastructure (VDI) via having firewalls, antivirus, digital enclaves, USB redirection and filtering and clever card authentication.
- study the options and strategies used emigrate a consumer inhabitants from a actual machine surroundings to a digital machine resolution.
- A learn-by-example established method that specializes in key recommendations to supply the root to resolve actual international problems
VMware View is a computing device virtualization answer that is helping companies automate computing device and alertness administration, lessen expenses, and raise facts protection via centralization of the laptop environment.
Written by means of VMware specialists Jason Langone and Andre Leibovici, this publication is intended as a advisor for architects, answer services, specialists, engineers and somebody making plans to layout and enforce an answer in accordance with VMware View five. This ebook will pull details and services from genuine international situations in an effort to maximize sensible studying. it is going to clarify the settings and configurations had to have a profitable computing device virtualization resolution in addition to the 'why' in the back of the decisions
This e-book isn't really intended to exchange the reputable management or deploy courses for VMware View or ThinApp released by way of the nice humans at VMware. the cloth during this booklet could be used in the course of the layout part, that is earlier than an implementation is underway. All parts of a VMware View resolution should be covered.
This ebook makes use of case reviews from the genuine global including:
- resort Kiosk: VDI answer utilized in a inn foyer to supply easy connectivity to its guests
- Federal employer with categorised and unclassified info: VDI used to permit analysts to soundly connect with either a categorised and unclassified community from a similar device
- distant workplace: VDI used to supply connectivity to offshore developers
- Out-of-band Scientist: VDI used to supply a safe computing device setting to scientists battling disorder in distant locales
What you'll study from this book
- Analyse the thoughts and strategies used emigrate a consumer inhabitants from a actual computing device setting to a digital machine solution
- Decide no matter if to exploit power or non-persistent vDesktops, which affects many components of the final VDI together with garage, computing device swimming pools and management
- Understand how finish units corresponding to thick customer, skinny purchaser, 0 consumers and different units, similar to the Apple iPad, are supported via VMware View
- Correctly measurement the VDI and steer clear of sluggish logons, terrible PCoIP functionality, authentication error, random disasters, and more
- Analyse the entire power issues of failure inside a VDI and supply redundancy for every component
- Effectively plan the garage layout in your VDI
- Ensure normal backups are taken to make sure a short restoration in occasions of failure
- Understand quite a few VDI layout issues for catastrophe recovery
This booklet will pull info and services from genuine global eventualities which will maximize functional studying. it's going to clarify the settings and configurations had to have a winning computer virtualization resolution in addition to the 'why' in the back of the decisions.
Who this e-book is written for
This publication is intended as a consultant for architects, resolution prone, experts, engineers and a person making plans to layout and enforce an answer in accordance with VMware View 5.